Tuesday, 29 January 2008

Create. Creativity. Creation. Creator.

I like these four words more than most. I feel like the first three bring the last to life for me - When I create things or do something creative I am reminded of who I got the knack from.

I've discovered soup recently. I love good soup, but to a fault I think. I ate at this great little soup shop in Frankfurt last fall with my friend Hannah and it was perfect - atmosphere, soup, bread, the works. This only fueled the flame that burned to learn how to make good soup. Too much pressure, yes! Soup is super easy to make and I only figured that out over Christmas. We get a box of fresh veg every week from some local co-op thing and we sometimes don't go through it fast enough therefore soup goes on the menu. The most recent was a squash and leek soup. Seriously, this was incredible and it was nothing to do with me. I browned some leeks while my squash was roasting, added chicken stock and blended it together. End result was soup so good I had to refrain from eating the entire pot in one sitting!

In the midst of creating something like this soup, and getting so excited about the result, I'm reminded of where I came from - where my roots are, in a creative God. Like when the little kid finally catches the football from his football-star dad and he feels like all is not lost - his father's legacy has been passed on and he has been inducted into a new world. Or something else for those that don't do well with the sport analogy...

I like these creative moments... good reminders. Today's soup shall be a leek, shallot, carrot, potato and big blue pumpkin thing. oh! and fluffy biscuits (not British cookies, but real American biscuits!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leah,

You're cool. I don't know very many people who can get to God via soup...but you obviously can. I wish I was there to try your soup and catch up on life. I miss you and hope that you are doing well.

- Ray

Hannah said...

Hi friend,

I wish we could eat every single one of those soups at that restaurant. Right. Now.

"The Mind of the Maker" by Dorothy Sayers was the most formative thing I've read on creativity. She was a contemporary of the inklings, so maybe you could find a copy tucked away in some old bookstore.

Look at this site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jblthistle/. It's eden's friend who makes the most amazing things at a college in Vancouver.

love you,h

Daniel & Gretchen Miller said...

Hey Leah! Just found your blog!! So glad you're keeping one. We have one as well, feel free to check it out. www.danielmillerfamily.blogspot.com
Sounds like you're doing really well. I want to hear all about how you got to London. Talk soon!